We don't just do cheer; we live cheer! I don't know about you, but at Cheerleading Blog we love learning about cheerleading, whether it's a new stunt or a historical moment. There's a lot to know about cheerleading; it's been around for over 100 years
In the spirit of cheer
, we've chosen just 10 fascinating facts to share with you that you may or may not have known.
What are your favorite cheer facts?
- There are nearly 4 million cheerleaders in the U.S.
- 400,000 of those 4 million are high school cheerleaders
- More than 50% of cheerleaders also play another sport
- The cheerleading capital of the U.S. is Texas
- There are 5 "Bring It On" movies (but nothing beats the original)
- Although cheerleading is over 100 years old, All Star cheer wasn't formed until the 1980s
- The Dallas Cowboys were the first NFL team to have a recognized cheer squad
- Cheerleading was originally an all-male activity
- In 2012, Maddie Gardner became the first individual cheerleader to sign a sports management contract
- Pom poms were originally called "pom pons" when they were first created